Re: Re: Public relations

From: Raymond Turney <raymond_turney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:20:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

As I understand it, the issue is that convention goers, and a lucky few who bought a copy from Leisure Games, were able to get copies three months earlier than everyone else.  This is claimed to be unfair, for the excellent reason that it is unfair.  On the other hand, itis unclear to me that people are actually better off having the opportunity to buy a set or rules that neither the desigener nor the publisher think are ready for release.  Then layout, binding, and printing takes time.  So things probably just took longer than people hoped and expected.   Since even the people who got copies through Leisure Games will probably have to buy another copy of the final version, it's not like it won't be irrelevant in six months.

So the complaint has been made, and presumably duly noted.  Why not go see a movie {I recommend Sigh is Kinng, Akshay Kumar is great} with the money you did not spend on a copy of playtest quality HeroQuest?

In general, the Buddhist teaching on desire is usually right.  Next edition HeroQuest seems like a big deal now, but once you have the opportunity to buy a copy, you will soon enough be wanting something else.  Given the opportunity to buy a copy now, you would merely stop wanting next edition HeroQuest, and start wanting something else, that much sooner.  So while it appears that you've been frustrated for three months, the actual cost to you of this flap is probably a lot less than it now appears.

                                                                        Ray,

            Toksickburn_at_ aol.com wrote:

> I understand that its an industry reality that there are playtesters.

> I dont

> understand why they get a full copy of the text while everybody else

> has to

> wait at least 3 months. Thats way too long.

I am not publishing this, and have no say in its timing or contents.

But I feel a need to explain a bit.

I will simply say that in my 30 years of experience it is absolutely

necessary to have a limited number of test players and contributors,

especially when the final version is being prepared.

Test players tend to be too slow in their response for the

designer/publisher. Sure, they do their best, but test players usually

have limited time to devote to this, and the comments come in weeks

after changes were already being made. then they are angry or

disappointed because they feel ignored.

Especially at this stage of the development a certain kind of comment is

necessary. Most volunteers send in complaints ("I'd do it a different

way" or "I don' like that" or "It' snot how it works in my Glorantha,"

etc.)

It is just too damn hard to work with and coordinate with a huge number

of people. I've done it, tried it again, and personally have rejected

it. In the early stages there is good reason to solicit open comments,

but at the later stage is is counterproductive.

The designer needs to take responsibility at some point and do what he

seems best. otherwise it never gets done.

I understand why you do not want to wait 3 months. But trust me, my

experience shows that if everyone got early copies and commented, and

the designes paid attentino to everyone equally, then it would be MORE

than 3 months until it was done.

--

    Greg Stafford

    President, Issaries. Inc.