Re: heroquest with lunar gods

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 17:23:45 -0700

Greg sez:

> Regrettably, though Humakt and his minions of dead have, esssentially,
> on role int hat story, and that is to be Death, and to be defeated.

Ah, but there can be a Extreme Humakti Hero "ambushing" the YT quester, Sure, it wouldn't materially change the *myth*, but it would materially change the YT worshipper (from "Dead, with a chance of Resurrection" to "Really, most sincerely Dead"). After all, not matter how well prepared you are, there is always a chance of blowing it (whether because "these dice were *really* cold, man" or "the needs of the story dictate".) Sure, the myth says "and then YT defeats Humakt", but things don't always go according to script...

Do it successfully on the God Plane enough times, and you *would* erode the myth. Do it to a specific lynch-pin-type individual, and you would damage the worldly cult (sort of like what happened to the Pharoah) even if you didn't manage to damage the Myth.

Now, how your Humakti would ferret out when and where the quest was taking place *and* manage to place himself at the correct place in the "story" to ambush the quester is another matter entirely, though if they are "Quest enemies" (or whatever the terminology is for "two guys who keep bumping into each other during heroquests"), that's a bit easier.

And just to point out: all the self-resurrecting Gloranthan figures *I* know about are enlightened/illuminated (in one form or another), so your YT quester *really* wants to be, or become during the course of the quest, Illuminated. I don' think you can successfully somplete the quest without it.

RR
>From such a face and form as mine, the noblest sentiments sound like the
black utterances of a depraved imagination. --Dick Deadeye