Re: Re: Long houses

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:50:09 -0500

Gareth Martin wrote:

> > Thunder Rebels does mention that steads are abandoned and the wyter
> > moved ever so often. Probably to places where there's more wood.
>
> What would happen if you "lost" a wyter? A whole stead was wiped out
> (by
> disease, say) and then abandoned?
> Would the the clan have an imperative to take action?

The wyter would still remain. The population is only part of its strength. The terrain is only part of its strength. As long as the regalia (in a stead this would be the hearth-stone or the roof-tree) is intact, its still there.

Abandoned steads are often considered haunted. A stead which was exterminated might be left to rot ito nothingness with its wyter still present. A wyter might not recognize someone from outside its community as a friend -- especially in a situation like that... and when the place finally rots away, the wyter goes home.

Clans can be reborn if their regalia is intact -- as was proven in King of Sartar with Argrath's old Clan. I don't see any reason why steads could not be the same. This would be particularly true if the stead in question is mythically significant (We must have a Bluejay Stead for only there can we meet the Sweet Grass Woman).

Jeff