Re: Why should barbarians get all the poetry....

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:53:24 -0000

Gareth Martin wrote:

> But also, I think we are Orlanthi-centric at the moment...

Speak for yourself.

> I am looking forward to the Lunar books becuase I am really
> interested in how the empire is composed - sod this orlanthi
> "free as the wind" malarkey, I want civil society and a
> decent bath :)

Join the club!

> Perhaps when the Lunar books emerge, Lunar sympathisers will have
> more material to relate the psychology of the empire too;l at the
> moment they are the Big Bad Oppressors, and it's difficult to find
> music or poetry that glorifies the role of conqueror and
> persecutor.

"Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem." Latin for "You can't make an Empire without breaking heads" (loosely translated, from Virgil's Aeneid book I).

> Of course the Lunars themselves are the heirs of a kind of
> Renaissance, and I'm sure that in their view their actions are
> whiter than white...

That's "redder than red", you proto-heretic!

May I urge you towards my Moonie Madness site, which has plenty of resources for playing Lunars who aren't Big Bad Oppressors. URL:

http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Moonie

Cheers, Nick