Re: Digest Number 615

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:21:39 EDT

In a message dated 13/10/01 16:18:07 GMT Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< > martin writes:
> >And a Pentan or Rinliddi player would care about Avarnia or Augner
> >or Veng etc.

 Morgan
> Don't have my book in front of me for their names, but the *other*
> Rinliddan cults (one is The Bat, right?), about which I've never
> complained, are clearly appropriate to a Pentan-Rinliddan conflict.
> Avarnia is, really, a stretch.

 Hmm, it seems you keept willfully ignoring the point that I've made a number of times now. In Orlanthi culture there are many fertility and healing gods that will never be played by most players, yet have write-ups. >>

     My impression was that he didn't want to see all those fertility goddesses in Thunder Rebels, either. Which obviously I don't agree with (at the very least they're important for designing NPCs, never mind understanding the culture) but seems at least to be consistent. But I could be wrong :-)

<< Uralda would never get a player in any game I've run over the last ten years or with any player in my groups. >>

      Now, my taste in PCs is well known to be almost as different from Martin's as is humanly possible, but I agree that Uralda would be way down my list of priorities, too. I'd rather play a follower of her than, say, Humakt, but that's not really saying much :-).

      IMO, there aren't many cults that its obvious won't be of interest to at least a significant minority of players. I'd seriously look at Avarnia for instance - now, if she turns out to be like Uralda, I'd pick something else, but if she's like some Ernaldan cults (and being AFAIK a Great Goddess, this is entirely possible) then I might well play a follower.

<< > As a peace offering, when you or Peter write a good myth/story about
> how a brave hero of Avarnia, the Goddess of fat quails, is essential,

 Noone has ever said that there would be warrior heroes of Avarnia, that is the whole point. >>

      This doesn't rule out 'brave heroes', though, in the sense that CA worshippers are brave (you *have* to be brave to be a pacifist in Glorantha!) If I had the time, and knew enough about Rinliddi, I'd have a crack at a story like that. But I'm already thinking of something along those lines for similarly non-combatant cults in Loskalm, so that would obviously get priority...

<< > And yes, I was under the "old, obsolete" impression that Lunars ran
> the Empire and kept the Solars well leashed.

 They do and they do. >>

     I think if by 'Solars' he means the collective pre-Lunar cults of the Empire, that could be debatable. They do form 90% of the population, and there's only so far you can 'leash' that proportion of people. Of course, you only really *need* to leash the Shargash and Yelmites etc. who aren't very numerous - the Solars made a fairly good job of leashing all their peasants a long time ago! It could be he wants a setting where the Lunars are, say, 50% of the Empire's population rather than 10% - which wouldn't have been an unreasonable guess based solely on RQ-era sources, and is a perfectly reasonable desire, IMO. But, obviously, if that *is* what he wants, he will be disappointed, because it isn't any longer a reasonable *expectation*...

<< What I don't get is that you think that due to this historical situation, the writers of a book on solars should not actually write about the solar cults, because they are subservient the lunars politically? Or am I missing the thrust of your argument here?>>

      If he believes that the Solars are all restricted to their cities, and never get to do anything interesting, I grant you they would be boring to play. Of course, they aren't :-)

Trotsky