Re: Digest Number 615

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:23:48 -0400

TTrotsky_at_... wrote:

> HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:
>
> << > martin writes:
> > >And a Pentan or Rinliddi player would care about Avarnia or Augner
>
> > >or Veng etc.
>
> Morgan
> > Don't have my book in front of me for their names, but the *other*
> > Rinliddan cults (one is The Bat, right?), about which I've never
> > complained, are clearly appropriate to a Pentan-Rinliddan
> conflict.
> > Avarnia is, really, a stretch.

(SNIP)
> My impression was that he didn't want to see all those fertility
> goddesses in Thunder Rebels, either. Which obviously I don't agree
> with (at
> the very least they're important for designing NPCs, never mind
> understanding
> the culture) but seems at least to be consistent. But I could be wrong
> :-)

Very true - the #1 follower in our game is having a Brevaran medic. And one person of a 6 player group is playing a Kadone the Grounder / Enfaralda the supporter character which is quite frightening - she's everyone's granny...

> << Uralda would never get a player in any game I've run over the last
> ten
> years or with any player in my groups. >>

Don't judge all the other groups by your own - there are a LOT of different games being played out there. And without Uraldans and the like, its impossible to have a meaningful cultural background. _Perhaps_ the keywords were overly done but I found them highly useful for letting me know how the world was put together.

> Now, my taste in PCs is well known to be almost as different
> from
> Martin's as is humanly possible, but I agree that Uralda would be way
> down my
> list of priorities, too. I'd rather play a follower of her than, say,
> Humakt,
> but that's not really saying much :-).

Mine as well. But I DO play a Voriof cultist. Does that count?

> IMO, there aren't many cults that its obvious won't be of
> interest to
> at least a significant minority of players. I'd seriously look at
> Avarnia for
> instance - now, if she turns out to be like Uralda, I'd pick something
> else,
> but if she's like some Ernaldan cults (and being AFAIK a Great
> Goddess, this
> is entirely possible) then I might well play a follower.

Some followers have essential skills - I wouldn't want to play a Buserian scribe but if I had a Dara Happan noble, I'd INSIST that I had one in my entourage to handle my memoires and paperwork.

A quick note: Busarian is a scribe and a bureaucrat. I.Ontor is the god of Mad Passionate Science. I know who I'd rather have keeping my correspondence.

> This doesn't rule out 'brave heroes', though, in the sense that
> CA
> worshippers are brave (you *have* to be brave to be a pacifist in
> Glorantha!)

Or mad.

> If I had the time, and knew enough about Rinliddi, I'd have a crack at
> story like that. But I'm already thinking of something along those
> lines for
> similarly non-combatant cults in Loskalm, so that would obviously get
> priority...

St. Ussary was a peaceful sort, usually.

> I think if by 'Solars' he means the collective pre-Lunar cults of
> the
> Empire, that could be debatable. They do form 90% of the population,
> and
> there's only so far you can 'leash' that proportion of people. Of
> course, you
> only really *need* to leash the Shargash and Yelmites etc. who aren't
> very

Leash or lead? I suspect that the Lunar authorities have been in the position of 'riding the tiger' where the Solars are concerned for a long time. Good thing the Dara Happans are usually easily distracted by infighting, protocol and the threat of another wave of barbarians from Pent.

(snip)

> Trotsky

El Jeffe!