Re: Seven Mothers

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:38:48 -0000

OK, but remember that the 7 Mums or, more specifically the Provincial Church, is part of the overarching Lunar power structure (this is a theocracy, after all). The PC is separate from both the military command structure and also the Provincial Overseer, but linked with them. Put simply, if a priestess of the PC makes some deal with your clan leader, then it is possible for this subsequently to be invalidated by the civil or military authorities, but not lightly.

> So, it still does not give me much
> of a model of what the 7M are doing, how they pitch their argument,
> how they conceive of their own role and efforts, hoiw they operate,
> what their goals are and how they pursue them.

The role of the Provincial Church is to bring the first light of the Goddess to the heathen. As such, it adopts all, some or one of a range of strategies, depending on what it feels most suited to local circumstances. Here are just a few:

  1. Personal example. Those YT swordsmen are tough, honourable and friendly. That Deezola healer saved your dad, when there were no Chalana Arroy within a day's travel. You always thought old Korvik the Lawspeaker knew it all, but that Irippi Ontor scholar gave him a run for a money, even arguing over Heort's history...
  2. Direct advantage. You don't like us, but if you allow us to set up a small shrine in your tula, we'll pay you twenty cows each year. It also means that we'll heal your villagers and our warriors will help drive off chaos. No, we won't come and preach to you, but if any of your people want to hear our stories, they are welcome.
  3. Direct challenge. So you reckon Kolat wields the mightiest spirits? Hah, I hear you storm shamans like to wager, well I, Ereana the Spindle Hag, challenge you to a contest. So, you see my spirits are more powerful? So it is with all Lunar powers. Tempted?
  4. High politics. Deals cut with chiefs and kings, with the encouragement of the Provincial Overseer, as above.
  5. Enfranchising the disenfranchised. You are a stickpicker? That's terrible - all Lunar citizens are equal under the light of the Goddess, come, let us show you? Your clan is ruled by grey-beards? That is ridiculous: in the Empire, a 20-year old can command a phalanx. Why wait for power, when we know how to reward talent and ambition? You were outlawed? Danfive Xaron knows the secrets to purge your guilts and bring you back your name and a new community.

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti