Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_qoEd9kEU8U_Ar07_0nIsawmlF1RB42Pe_dLOGonWi3qfMfuwc1BrqkicvPZINkPXbaTU>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 19:19:17 -0000

> In this case, women warriors must be lesbians, or genital hunters.
> Chalk one up for the missus. So you come on.

Rob - you have pretty much missed the point. Women warriors do not have to be lesbians. However, the cult of Vinga allows women to participate in men's magic - ie. Orlanth. In this regard, she is a complete parallel to Nandan. Now that is not a new revelation of Greg or mine - that's even the way the cult is written for popular roleplaying purposes.

Woman who participate in the rites that define masculinity are going to have some proscriptions - both social and religious - as to their own gender identity. For the cult of Vinga to allow women to function as men (and I don't mean fighting, I mean in terms of religious and magical roles) and not have a price to pay is just silly.

> How important she is, well thats a moot point, as she will be coming
> out of that pool of 15% or so who operate outside of the norm, and
> like I said I never really liked that change anyway. I liked it when
> a female warrior wasn't super weird.

Do you know any woman that have been in combat? Any women that served in Iraq or the Gulf War, and not in a purely logistical or administrative role? Every woman soldier that I have known (which admittedly is only about a dozen or so) that saw combat has been super weird. If you want to impose an idealistic version of 21st century cost-free feminism on a bronze age culture, I´m going to say that will not probably ring mythically true.

And this is obviously my opinion so I am not going to both with a boilerplate disclaimer. :)

Jeff