Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:38:36 -0000

Rory:
> The only problem is that the "attack" you face is the full value
of
> the wall's height (whether you like 10w3, 10w4, 10w5, or
whatever),
> *NOT* 14. (Jumping off the wall with "appropriate" magic only
faces a
> 14 resistance (unless there is something that make WW's
> walls "magically important".)
>
> So sure, buy yourself a "Fall Softly" CM feat at 13, and have Olaf
> push you off the wall, but don't be terribly surprised at
the "splat"
> at the bottom...

That's so not fair on the wall's part.

If I was the player involved, I'd point out that the rules clearly state that 14 is the "resistance of the mortal world to magical change" and that as I'm exploiting an abstract concept my magical manifestation must retroactively impose itself upon the mundane active ability so manifested and reduce said same integer to 14 and that action-resistance is a gross and inaccurate simplification of interaction-interaction and wait until the Narrator had got so confused or fed up that he let me do it.

Or I could always improvise a feat, I suppose. It just shows the rules are rigorous enough to stop Olaf pushing people off walls. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.