Re: So now that you have your copies of Sartar

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_kUBzzSVSJtFytm-nm_hGDjQ30aFjecFC667ffwKxIx4n9VcYTDeUDdS1UZ-D10EnH0>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:17:08 +1100

2009/12/8 Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_aBwy1jB6gZKPnHBOZ4B4yE7DNrJURaev-YElf616pLX89fqZdXaKh-BaIxRLqPK8V7kEYH7rcOTPdlcFHpBY1E35og.yahoo.invalid>

> Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes actually changed the Red Goddess's runes from
> Moon, Fertility and Chaos to Moon, Illusion and Chaos.

Shouldn't there be several rune configurations? Rufelza might have Fertility and Disorder, Natha might have Mastery or something, etc, etc.
Who knows what Sedenya has?

> So I'm thinking the basis of lunar magic is a glamour, a temporary
> reality created by the lunar from the interaction between himself and
> the runes of the lunar immortal that he worships.

That's pretty neat! It might work well with the "masks" stuff that is rife in Lunar theology too (Pay No Attention To The Transcendent Entity Behind The Curtain).

I don't think the Lunars can do HQ2 style feats, although they can use
> their runic affinity indirectly. What they could do create charms or
> spells, although the nature of the magic is limited by the immortal they
> are following - if it's contrary to the example of the immortal they are
> following then they can't get the required insight to follow it. For
> example, a Yanafali will not able to craft a stop resurrection spell
> because that's contrary to how Yanafal defeated Humakt. Likewise a
> Jakaleel witch cannot use her lore to create spells because the crazy
> old woman that she followed made charms and nothing else.

Why can't Lunars perform feats? There are some pretty impressive examples of potential feats!

They could innovate but that requires heroquesting. Most often they
> will rely on the stored knowledge of temple to craft their glamours,
> whether it be dusty old scrolls, yodaesque teachers or spiritual exercises.

Isn't this more or less turning Lunar magic into wizardry with a methodological foundation on untruths or unspecific truth (Illusion) instead of comprehension of cosmic phenomena (Law)?

Not that there is anything wrong with that... I just thought it'd been done before with Dualism in (proto-?) Carmania?

--
John Machin