Re: Three Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_MkNNk8687HqWlqMdTACgcVVlN3a5eZJtMOvI4puyuvYjx5SNtwfiGzq9-kyZ6Ao3>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:26:57 -0500

Trotsky wrote:
> My interpretation of KoH is that the runes a person has are revealed at
> their initiation ceremony, so that all adults would know what theirs
> were.

I don't have a copy yet, but that is the reasoning I've been going with.
> Indeed, there's a specific heroquest for people that wish to
> become clan chiefs/tribal kings but don't have the Mastery rune, which
> suggests that the candidate must (at least on some level) know that this
> is, or is not, the case.

See? That's the kind of interesting stuff I like to hear. I am really going to have to dig through this thing and figure out some of the in-world assumptions underlying things.
> Whether other cultures would be the same I'm less sure, especially where
> personal runes are less crucial to their magic.

*nod*
If one assumes "everyone really does have personal runes" even if they don't use them for their magic, it could still be that people know their runes.
(It is, of course, not necessarily the case.)

LC