Re: Three Runes

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_fkQiopMB5odl8Ej9sw57YTxkqBlmLlS0T60OtKdWqgm7nqjht_fHfEiuUKtIK-l>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:05:04 -0500

L C wrote:
> Trotsky wrote:
>> The rule in KoH is that you have to have one element, one power, and one
>> other rune which may be either a power or a condition.
>>

> Mmm... So the options would be:
> - Assume that's a pattern that holds across Glorantha for all holders
> of the Man rune
> - Assume that's a pattern that holds across Glorantha for humans
> - Assume everyone has runes, but the patterns change by culture
> - Assume everyone doesn't have runes
>
> I think I might be comfortable with that being the pattern across
> Orlanthi culture. Given the hints that the Dara Happans work that way,
> maybe them too.

I'm not tied to the "everyone has an element rune" bit. Would it freak anyone out if a Eurmali doesn't have any element runes? If there is a Heortling case for breaking the rules, it is those poor bastards.

I like the idea that many cultures have a primary rune. Many cultures have historically (mythically?) been tied to an element, so using that element rune makes a lot of sense. But not everyone. For Hsunchen I'd think it would be the beast rune, or specialized variant of it. What about Kralorela? Could they have something else?

I'm not an expert on Prax, but I'd make the default rune for Men Death, and Life for the Women. Maybe Earth for the Oasis people, and Water along the Zola Fel?

I think this would make the conversion of Elder races easier. Most (all?) Mostali have the Stasis rune, likewise Darkness rune for Uz, Plant rune for Aldryami, and so forth.

To me this generalizes to

	culture specific rune
	power rune
	dealers choice rune

Rigid societies like the Dara Happans might mandate the culture rune and they just don't have any variation. More fluid ones (Heortlings) have the loser restrictions. such as any element will do. Maybe there is some odd ball culture that allows any three runes, but they'd lack the coherence of most cultures, and likely have been squished/subjugated.

What I've been wondering is if there is a way to change your runes, or add a fourth one. If you are Lunarized, to you get the change to gain the Moon rune? Could the EWF graft on a Dragon rune? Perhaps that is part of the magic of the Arkati: He changed from Death to Air to Darkness, and they can too.