Re: Three Runes

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_X6UickOtQ9ved85od-HjYicpOC3_2jS9GGJaw49AabkxEy35r-fIiqpTuv5jyX1L6l>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:07:18 +1100

2009/12/20 Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_qDfj4r07eb3kPCF1fR2iarFvhS6gFFQbz62an2RONYVLyl1yDeW-CTby0DLrjL3a0S5sltfThHzun6b0SYL4ndw.yahoo.invalid>

> The way I view wizardry is that yes, wizards do have runes, but they can
>
> use these only to augment magic from a suitable grimoire, not as direct
> rune affinities in the theist sense. This reflects their natural
> psychological tendencies and ability to intuitively perceive and
> manipulate the appropriate sorts of energy, of course, and has nothing
> to do with any connection to personified higher powers (ha! the very
> idea!) In other words, if you have a naturally peaceful personality, you
> will find it much easier to manipulate energies associated with the
> Harmony rune; it comes easily to you in a way that harnessing
> destructive power would not. Where Air and Earth are the most common
> runes among Heortlings, Law is especially common amongst Malkioni.

I roll this way with the Esvulari wizard in our current group. Runes are popular augments for related grimoires.

I also impose penalties based on the runes when inappropriate magic is used however: to use the example of a wizard with a Harmony rune, this wizard would (as Trotsky mentioned) have an easier time using healing, peacemaking, and calming spells - but a harder time using spells of disorder, disaster, and destruction.

I'm influenced in using this method by the HQ1 era text that says that strong emotions can sometimes interfere with the concentration needed to evoke wizardry magic.

--
John Machin