Re: Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes - enough setting to run a house campaign? how portable to other Orlanthi areas?

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_KKjhmjzfsHr4CGdkb-L32npeG5ngbt9FGHKxuskbak61BjCpyWY-R4aTkk8Jn4>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:38:37 -0800

Without writing it up yourself? I would say "no", but with many caveats.

First, this is made for Heroquest. Ideally your players are creating at least 20% of the world around them with their relationships, how they propose their contests and so on. You could even expand this more by asking THEM "what sort of fellow is it that can fulfill that role?" when then attempt to make things happen by connecting NPCs.

Second, The Colymar campaign is quite significant. It's two years of game time. While you'll want to make unique encounters yourself, the detail and structure of the story are excellent.

Third, there is enough to run many adventures and follow up on campaign hooks that you mine from the background. But I would not say that this is enough to run a campaign, other than to support the Colymar campaign.

If you happen to own Barbarian Adventures, then you would have enough in the way of names, relationships and events to make all of the material OTHER than the campaign that is in the book needed for a second campaign. Or you could make the Colymar campaign really shine.

But, no, there is not enough material in the book to run an whole second campaign, other than the Colymar campaign, without having to write NPCs, events and storylines yourself.

--Todd