Re: Runes for non-theists [was: 'Three Runes']

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_sUZHL7v6DMeXzzV98afutqST9PYAaSnK1zBpThY-gp9umZY7mTQDh_6jwJ_jHAWkQq->
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:21:01 +1300

julianlord wrote:

> Which would suggest that many of the things that the Orlanthi can do
> [in Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes - PHM] may be specific to them, and not
> things that everyone can do.

I'm not aware of any mythological reason allowing the orlanthi to use their affinities to boost their spells and charms and vice versa. If only the Orlanthi can do this, they would be mentioning the fact as proof of their superiority.

> But I think that the basic magic of the animists is that they have
> relationships with spirits that can perform magic tricks for them at
> whichever xWy rating. Depending on the nature of the relationship,
> this xWy may or may not be improvable for any particular spirit.

Except that animists can improve their charms and spirits without limit.   The fixed ability rating for spirits that was a feature of HQ1.0 is gone. The key definition of a spirit's strength is your tradition knowledge.

> (this could be whichever spirits have
> the same or a greater or smaller number of Masteries in the Rune -
> including temporary augments from social support and et cetera).

Except that nobody has masteries in a rune, they only have masteries in a rune affinity which is a theistic thing and I'd really like to keep rune affinities out of basic animism and sorcery if I can. Animists do have a tradition knowledge but it is explicitly not tied to a rune.

> Certain Schools might require that all its students must master Rune
> X prior to graduation, which would certainly be the case in some
> Orders focusing on Saints for example as they would focus on their
> Saints' personal Runic affinities as a primary method.

Given that the sorcerors approach the external runes through grimoires and scriptures (which are linked to the runes), you are basically saying they must master their texts to graduate? That seems redundant IMO.

--Peter Metcalfe