Re: Runic Discussions

From: L C <lightcastle_at_8ZNNS1DEf5_EcOVjMU0mmW_3j13OCng-fsCXP4UPcFeNLXBeToLwlL6NnoYxFfoE>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:27:19 -0500

Good. More hints as to the design concept.

So, can we just have you guys state some of this for the record?

So far, it seems that you are saying here that the idea was whenever "Gloranthan Reality" and "Gaming Fun" came into conflict, "Gaming Fun wins" was the design concept.

It seems, from reading the Sartar book, that the intention may be to craft each culture's magic system independently, and so there will not be "Theist Rules"//"Sorcery Rules"//"Animist Rules" as such. Whether there will be an intention to have rules for each of the worlds be broadly similar from culture to culture would be nice to know. i.e. - While the specifics of the Rune system (as with the magic system) are specifically mentioned to be Orlanthi and only Orlanthi, the question of "People have runes which reflect their soul and their magic" remains open. Is it a pan-Sartarite thing? An pan-Orlanthi thing? A pan-Theyalan thing? Or nothing but a rules concept for Theist magic and not indicative of anything any of those cultures think about in their mind.

Whether to assume any concept introduced in a rule book should be viewed as a game-mechanical approximation and not in any way viewed as an in-world truth or not is also unclear. In other words, do we assume Orlanthi actually view that worshippers have two classes, Initiate and Devotee and that's it, or is that purely a game-mechanical construct? Do Orlanthi view themselves as having runes or is that a game-only construct?

Again, what is the design concept? Is it "Find a fun system that works?" Is it "Find a way to express the way Orlanthi do and view magic in HQ2, always rounding out rough patches in favour of smooth game mechanics"?

Considering a number of books are in development, this has obviously already been discussed and a broad design view has been agreed on. I (and I am sure others) would like to know what it is, so we can participate intelligently.

Best,
LC