Re:Outlawry = death

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_MHJySUKtbGrcjDQue4HX3xlHdpig0m3lWRGURfYI-_kj4k7dWuQGR1gqsDy4o6ZHwOjcm>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:55:37 -0800

> Here's another wrinkle - odds are our outlaw did something offensive
> to another community. Just because you outlawed Killer Varanil
> doesn't mean your clan is off the hook for the five Grey Dogs he killed!

I'm not so sure.

Unless you've got Greg to the contrary, I'd say Full Outlawry (not just banishment) would absolve the clan of the misdeeds of the offender - as long as they haven't already been brought to court and a settlement arranged.

Frex, Killer Varanil is a known tough guy and rapscallion, and kills a Greydog. The Greydogs show up at our clan and say "hey, we want compensation". A settlement is reached, the slate is wiped clean. Then Killer goes out and kills five more Greydogs, and before the Greydogs show up on our tula again Killer is Outlawed - the whole "loss of kin, forever" package. It would be an interesting legal quagmire to determine if the clan is responsible for his killings, as he is no longer "kin" to them.

The Greydogs would be legitimately peeved at our clan - one of ours killed Greydogs, but I can put forward that he is no longer kin, and they are SOL - they can collect it from his body. We still owe for the one Greydog that we reached a settlement on, but not for the ones he killed that they didn't press a claim to before we cut him off.

Legal quagmire, let the Lawspeakers hash it out! And if we aren't in the same tribe as the Greydogs, and there is no real king... Sounds like feud to me (and to me the GD's are in the wrong if they start a feud with us, so there! We ain't afeerd of no doggies, even if they are hardened Humakti killing machines! Pooh on them!).

RR