Re:Outlawry = death

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_J1B18uO9ebM1IrvXm9PzffbsQ_OdWqbeufaFitZGLedYW6RwOUyKhVustcHPh8Da-6Rr>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:03:43 -0000

> Unless you've got Greg to the contrary, I'd say Full Outlawry (not just
> banishment) would absolve the clan of the misdeeds of the offender -
as long
> as they haven't already been brought to court and a settlement arranged.

Keep in mind that at the time of the injury, your outlaw WAS a member of your clan. The Orlanthi believe in community liability, not individual. When Killer Varanil kills five Grey Dogs, your entire clan is entirely liable. Outlawing him is a good idea and might serve as partial compensation, but your clan is still on the hook.

YGMV, but that's how I see it (as a lawyer who has spent a lot of time looking at various historical legal systems and has wasted much time pondering the ramifications of community liability).

Jeff