Re: City Orlanthi

From: donald_at_Ft3iCie4NEJmHpYH_ZiJwI4ElxkY4JeLeB6_iMbSfygmHSDNsiUpyGSTCEap3GzMZKoOW
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:50:10 GMT

In message <gjss08+jjma_at_eGroups.com> "Jeff Richard" writes:

>As for dialects, the Sartarites and the Heortlander Orlanthi speak the
>same dialect of the Theyalan language (sometimes called Mannish,
>sometimes called Therelemic).

That's a big area for a single dialect. By comparison England has ten which imediately come to mind and the number has reduced in the last couple of centuries. I would expect each tribe to have it's own dialect. As an example the Torkani will have taken words from the Uz language.

>Greg and I discovered that the old
>Genertela Book section on languages is not completely accurate -
>Heortlander and Esrolian are dialects of the same language and are
>easily mutually intelligible.

Given that an accent can be enough to make communication difficult to impossible I would doubt the 'easily'. Once you start getting dialect words in a conversation it needs a fair amount of effort to communicate without misunderstandings. The biggest problem is that many people don't realise that they are using dialect words because they were brought up with them. A listener from another area will either mishear the dialect word as another word or hear a meaningless noise.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/