Re: Battle of Grizzly Peak

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_hHnm7miu0u1LpL9WMnzbELWx0b6U6PIeolNoqswPee9calqPdcLTWmkjPHQTSpqvouM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:45:37 -0500

First of all, thanks, everyone for the ideas and pointers. There is more information out there than I had found (although still frustratingly little on the battle itself).

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_mAQKLqGmgTmYwgb29S0J9zHlzCPZ4GH0skeGmSsyEDjP60_bKNxLNZaSCB3IqvWu9SANHHAr1dDbk56JG_fHpg7CW5U.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> Dragon Pass p30 says the peak was famous for being the site of a
> mythic battle between Vingkot and the Star Bear. Since the Red
> Goddess rode a Star Bear, the Lunar tactic might have been a
> mythic re-enactment of this contest.
>
> One particular nitpick - you've assumed Tarkalor's Queen is the Feathered
> Horse Queen but "Mother of Lands" is cited on page 228 of KoS as having
> kept faith after her favourite lover whom she married died at Grizzly Peak.
> So the queen is possibly Dorasa - Tarkalor's "bed wife" cited in KoS p43.
> Due to the lowly title of Dorasa (if she was queen then surely the Grey
> Sages would have referred to her as such rather than bed wife), I think
> Tarkalor had a third wife who was his queen but their marriage was without
> issue which is why she escapes mention.

Tarkalor was quite the dog... On the other hand, that gives me leave to essentailly reate two more characters to use, so I guess that's OK.

Anyway, so I am probably safe assuming that:

The Old Tarsh side:
The Exile Tribes
Some Lowland Old Tarsh types from the areas around Bagnot Some people from the Far Place (not part of either Tarsh or Sartar at this point, right?)
Some mercenaries (I need to check again to see if any non-human or otherwise unusual group is specifically listed in a source)

The New Tarsh Side
Many of the Tarsh regiments listed in Tarsh in Flames Some regular Lunar units (maybe stationed in Tarsh afterwards to make sure that Moraides remains a loyal subject)
Some magicians with a Star Bear focus to make use of the Peak's past Some magicians with anti-Earthquake mojo (HonEel is good at pacifying the Earth in a Lunar way, I suppose)
Would Yana Aranis magic work against the Grazers? They are different from Pentans, but not *that* different.

I need to scour some of the recommended sources for leaders, and that may give some more ideas.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Peter Larsen