Re: City Orlanthi

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_atHyrDVeelcYOrFcah4fPhl0kPXUe6PcL-LiVIvjtVtW9iSEFx7ZXqCM-ihcKyeDgLZ>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 00:51:17 -0800 (PST)

> Da: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_q0rAmImb_pLFNBc-tLzH8ujC_qkE6tLsYswIPKnhAiZmMJSo6TZTYUFf4-LenzCtCt4B7mmROcYEBw.yahoo.invalid>
> Oggetto: Re: City Orlanthi
> A: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
> Data: Domenica 4 gennaio 2009, 08:12
> Think of the people of a city as a "clan", and
> the lands of the city as its
> tula.
> The people insode the city will mostly be from the three
> neighboring tribes
> (as the cities were formed that way), with a sprinkle of
> other people
> (Orlanthi and really "other") to provide
> leavening. There there is a "City
> Ring" that mirrors a clan or tribal ring, a local fyrd
> (perhaps called the
> city militia, but fulfilling the same purpose), lands and
> rights enjoyed
> just as a clan enjoys theirs, a City Wyter, etc..
> The "City Clan" is a made up entity. I can't
> really think of a real-world
> equivalent from history to compare it to. The cities do not
> have a "natural"
> or "organic" origin; they did not grow up from a
> small village to a great
> (well, great for Sartar) city, they were created by fiat,
> and built
> magically.

mmmmh, much celtic oppida were something like that. My city, Cremona, was a roman colonia where romans and celts met to trade, not just a military outpost. Mediolanum, instead, was a magical place: a nemetum, good for shows, fairs, ceremonies and market. Other Gallia Cisalpina's and Transalpina's towns were gallic (i.e. celtic) oppida. Oppida were built for defense, market and magical ceremonies to propitiate war and trade. All of the above sites were located at the intersections of the tulas, pardon, the *territories* ruled and inhabited by various celtic tribes (insubri, boi, liguri, senoni etc.).

I'm sorry if the above is considered OT, but I think that real world analogies are useful (not necessary) to better comprehend glorantha.

ciao,
Gian