Re: What Does the King of Dragon Pass do for you?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_lM2rm9tOd3Lm6VIOyJ7NtPr0elpJcoSlUI-p59BhpVw3ramaNt-oMJ3oGcbxGg9QvHi>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 22:57:25 +1300

At 04:32 a.m. 9/01/2009, you wrote:

>[Tarkalor] obtained support of the Grazer and probably even the Elder Races,

I don't see the Elder Races support myself.

>But he had to have the support of the Grazers to become KoDP, right? I mean,
>technically, he just had to marry the FHQ, but he needs the support of a
>bunch of Grazers to do that....

It's mysterious. Moirades doesn't marry the FHQ but the Feathered Queen of the Kerofini Temple according to KoS p127, which seems more like a sacral priestesshood of the Exiles than the Grzaers. In the list of Grazer Queens p228, Splendid Among the Proud has no husbands while her successor Riches without Tears who does marry doesn't begin her reign until after the sack of Boldhome. Moirades could have married her but the timing is off if the Dragonewts present at the sack of Boldhome (p142) were meant to be a sign of his elevated status.

Even more confusing is Argrath who is said to have married the Feathered Horse Queen twice in the Saga and is described as becoming King of Dragon Pass in 1629 according to KoS p156 but in 1643 in KoS p42. Undoubtedly the Queen concerned is Reaches All but she is said to have been High Queen of all Dragon Pass for "choosing her husband wisely", a curious statement if marrying her was necessary to becoming King of Dragon Pass.

I think that the original kingship was embodied in the union of Ironhoof with the Lady of the Wild. Certain Priestesses in embodying earthly powers could act as the Lady of the Wild as does Sorana Tor in Arim's case. The Feathered Horse Queens acquired this ability when "Reaches Furthest" went deep into the earth in her revolt against the Solar Powers. But the original route through the priestess at Kerofin still remained valid.

I don't think that marrying either Queen is sufficient to become King of Dragon Pass. The FHQs are normally polyandrous (KoS p136) and Sartar himself has to win some magical contest after his marriage before the Inhuman King would accept him as KoDP (KoS p144).

--Peter Metcalfe