Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_4PPupr_0yTBj6NhcKDsY-RWfj5jrHvTcdGtsNs0e3j7EaG79zfVzrkTNEmye0PaX1yY>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:30:53 -0000

Someone:

> > The creation of ghosts, vampires, thanatari heads, mummies etc.
>  also involves tying a soul to the material plane, and the
creation
> of ghosts is not something that only Chaotics can do (Indeed
ghosts
> sort-of retain their souls (and usually even regenerate their
own
> magic points)

IIRC chaotic zombies are called Ghouls. Usual zombies are not chaotic, but animated corpses without spirit inside. Probably an undead in general is created whenever a mortal creature is severed (ehm!) from (not by) the Great Severer (Death). The result is something that is dead but not subject to death, living but not mortal, immortal but not eternal. The Hunger trait, typical of undead (vampires included), makes me think that the resulting creature is connected to the Underworld, but maybe not as the Underworld is the origin of its power/condition: its connection is its original nature as mortal being, because it/she/he *should* go to the Underworld (die) now and for some reason can't/won't.
So it eternally craves for something. A sort of esistential frustration where hunger is the result of anger.

Gian