Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_3iWnrasW4QozNZ40ezv0Z3dIzx49akwoomsW4GYt4x2By680ddfnAGc_6FlNp0omc>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:06:30 -0800

YGWV On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:45 AM, philbert6000 <philbert6000_at_uLvRUl_Bz5NQM085ZhEaA9cVhSYWGS3642-IhuAvHajhjornjlkGhpKFphbGvUy__eh989XGWP-uRaoJNg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

In the Glorious Reascent, Antirius fights ZZ at the hill of gold and is
> "wounded". This may be a reference to this event. But it could be an
> allegory to ZZ re-discovering his native origins, and the powers theorof.
> Antirus I believe is another part of Yelm.

Yep, could be. YGWV. I am not arguing about what "could be here," but just sharing what I know from my experience and time on the job.

> > YGWV. From whence this data, that he acquired berserker powers after his
> > death? For me, he always had these--they were revealed in his initiation.
>
> Pure speculation, thought it was something that he gained after the devil
> threw him down to the ground, he was killed, went into hell, gained the
> berzerker secret from deep within himself, and came back when the earth gave
> him the power to rise up again and crushed the devil with his new power. But
> pure speculation.

His anti chaos powers come from him--it's why he has his own rune. It is like disorder or darkness--powers that rose out of Chaos and have a kind of "special power" to resist it, since they are raw "not chaos" powers.

> Please indicate to me where anything indicates, anywhere, that he was a
> > minor entity?
>

> Well he doesnt seem to have done much until Yelm showed up in hell. And he
> does have exclusive ownership of any runes.

I think you meant "does not."
To say "he doesnt seem to have done much" seems to imply that we have the entire working mythology, which we don't. As for exclusive ownership of a rune, he does: the Urox rune.

> > From whence this tidbit, that the Unholy Trio worked in dorastor? I
> believe
> > I've said it was in the farthest north, at the edge of the world where
> haos
> > meets cosmos, where the ancient Divine Order had already been weakened by
> so
> > many other conflicts, destructions and violence.
>
> Ah yes, you have indeed. But it is also written in the original Cults of
> Terror that the trio was there. I am not holding you to it, of course
> anything written can be contradicted later, changed, or simply ignored.

Yea, author's privilege. Thank you.
I cannot give up the privilege of learning new things myself, about Glorantha, and adjusting. I do my best, but I do learn. I'm sorry that I don't have my books handy (I just handed by office over to my 5-year old grandson who has moved in, and it'll be a while before I set up somewhere else).
I'll try to see the quote when I can access them.

> > Presumably, they used his secret as the final
> > > ingredient for their plot to bring the devil into the world.
> >
> > A presumption.
>
> Forgive me for quoting the Cults of Terror:
>
> "One god who lived at this time is said to be the last born of the
> Young Gods. He as called Rashoran, and none know his parentage. At
> first Rashoran went about calming the frightened gods, teaching them
> to be unafraid. It is said that of all the cosmos only he did not
> fear what he did not know. He taught this knowledge to some of the
> other gods; most of them succumbed to the Darkness without a struggle
> after learning from Rashoran, though a few seem to have been
> fortified, such as Humakt and Uleria. Three others found that they
> were not afraid, and that they could us ehte fears of others to their
> own ends. One of the first things they did was to destroy Rashoran to
> keep his secret to themselves. .......who concentrated their forces
> and wills to create something new....They wove a grat magical ritual
> of potency far greater than anything before accomplished, for they
> had discovered the wonder and power of primal chaos......then engaged
> in their rituals of chaos birth." - Conspiracy of the unholy trio p
> 13 - Cults of Terror.

Thank you for the quote. Always useful to one without the books. Yours is a legitimate interpretation.
At this time, though, I will point out that there are many inconsistancies, erors, even lies, in the myths.
And i acknowledge that there is no way for you to know what is in my mind, which is why i try to clarify things here.

> > Rashoran
> > > was slain, in dorastor, by the unholy trio. He of course, went to
> > > hell. Now we know who Rashoran is related to.... He is a part of
> the
> > > disintegrated Yelm, slain by orlanth and broken into many parts.
> >

> > Holy Windstorm, from whence that data?
>

> Something you mentioned in a conversation many years ago. Rashoran is
> Nysalor's name before time. Red goddess goes to hell and finds
> Nysalor bound in hell, and "liberates" him. Basically you said that
> Bijif, a piece of yelm, was Nysalor, and that he was called Rashoran
> before the broken council brought him back as Nysalor. You may have
> changed your mind.

Yes, Bijiif is not Nysalor. I think that there are several entities who have bijiif" as a title, or part of their name, or a nickname. They are all underworld entities.

Well I hope it was entertaining at least. :)

Yes, and more--challenging and rather a bit of fun. And an opportunity to shae some thoughts, data and so on.

I do thank you for it, without irony or sarcasm at all. Keep it up.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer