Re: Orlanth the Law

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at__H132oq2dp7rrAnDsec5bdR2Xs3wsh6cJEXr8GkzrxJaIjozk49W27w7fJBM1DUtzufl>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 06:58:04 -0000

> What I meant about the closeness of the God Learners is that
> Alakoring starts from Lankst which is far closer to the God
> Learners than the EWF. That he fights his way into Karia
> and then to Aggar with the aim of freeing his god and people
> looks rather strange when the God Learners in Safelster
> were just as bad (as Sigolf Cloudcrusher can attest).

The God Learners probably stayed out of Alakoring's way!

> That you are not aware of any historical connection between
> Alakoring and the God Learners is precisely my point - such
> a great hero would surely have been a major headache for the
> God Learners but for some reason, he's not.

Greg and I chatted quite a bit about this when we were writing History of the Heortlings Peoples. To make a long story short, Alakoring didn't care that much about the God Learners because they were not his personal enemies - but the EWF and their draconic Orlanth priests were.

Keep in mind, Orlanthi rarely fight foes because they are abstract ideological enemies - they fight them because they have a personal feud with them. The House of Sartar has a long and bitter feud with the Red Goddess and the Red Emperor. The bloodline of the Vanak Spear had a long and bitter feud with Lokamayadon. And Alakoring had a long and bitter feud with the EWF.

Jeff