Re: Lodrili Settlers and Sacred Time ceremonies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_X096yaPKd4_0IIib6xTCMaqnCsyp7BihN_vceyiWkT7ftSr2Y2VPaMcUmCThHMAOOqx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:29:17 +1300

At 10:46 a.m. 10/02/2009, you wrote:

>Not really. Foulblood Woods is in the Print and is said to have been
>formed from where Larnste's poisoned blood fell after he was bitten
>by Krarsht. However, the Sky Spear was used against Krarsht and drove
>it deep underground where it broke and freed Lodril who fought with
>Krarsht.

Dragon Pass p27 states that a gigantic column of smoke and ash rose from the Vent and was blown upon the chaos woods by Kolat. This is a retelling of similar information in the Runequest Companion. There is a mention in DP that Veskarthen drove his sky spear into the ground to release the earth fires but that reeks of a clumsy god learnerism to me.

However this is not the same as the Gods of Glorantha: Prosopaedia mythlet that: "During the Gods War, the Sky Spear pierced the earth trying to impale a slimy thing of chaos. Rather than holding firm, the Spear snapped and broke freeing Lodril, the god who lived inside the weapon." That myth is undoubtedly true for someplace in glorantha but we don't know where.

>The Vent was formed when Caladra burst forth to defeat a Chaos army
>later on, so it is a different place entirely, despite what the
>Lodril writeup in White Wolf said.

The Lodril writeup in Whitewolf is reprinted in the Cults Compendium because it is the chaosium writeup. Caladra is Veskarthen is Lodril. Simply because the volcano erupted to destroy a chaos army does not mean the Vent was created in the Great Darkness. Chaos (in the guise of the Predark) was being fought by both the Emperor and Umath according to the myth of the First Harp (King of Sartar p59) which is Golden Age by conventional reckoning.

--Peter Metcalfe