Re: Lodrili Settlers and Sacred Time ceremonies

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_0Ot2qCU522rA28HK6TyMHE-nBuGjp3k9qLcRRjUmIigqp07cwitODdomSvJXgzbP9>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:38:28 -0800

YGWV On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM, xavierllobet <xavierllobet_at_2zKCp5MaEMDqt6FRaWAGMdV3LWFVqgMwm332vc5LH_ka3zHaYpY9OU6TcYCWrZPaa3wVXYTn7qLatE0.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> What did the Dara Happan Lodril do during the Great Darkness to rebuild
> the world or help his followers (i.e. what is celebrated during Sacred
> Time)?

Lodril fought and resisted chaos. However, like all the gods, he succumbed and went to the Underworld.
However, he is a god of the Underworld--the Heat Under the earth. So he survived there. Lodril Bijiif.
He was something of a host to his big brother there, but Yelm is the source of Authority, of Leadership.
When Yelm came he was Yelm Bijiif.
NOW, it is said by some that Bijiif was the master--there were Bijiif Lodril and Bijiif Yelm. And by "some" I mean many philosophers, priests, priestesses and commoners in Dara Happa. But we are concerned here about Lodril, so I'll stick to that. Lodril is the Father, he is the Farmer, he is the Shaper. He is also the Hidden Heat, the Heat Inside, the Warmth of Life. Those are the powers that went to sleep.
Officially, it was Yelm who awakened those powers. Yelm, though, could not get by without Lodril. he awakened the Hidden Power first, the Power Inside.
>From that the power came out--the Yelm Power, the Power of Above.
The symbol of this is the firestick--and of course, Lodril is the Stick. The stick spins in the hole, the poer is generated, the heat is brought forth and made visible. So the Lodril people consider Yelm to be one of the hands that twirls the stick (among men, the other varies, but often is some other form of Lodril (the left hand, the passive/receiving hand, when compared to Yelm).
Without Lodril the power of Yelm is useless. They say Yelm was a servant of Lodril, the worker who brought forth the fire.

So the Holy Time ceremony is a fire-making rite, a ceremony to bring forth the heat from inside. Which is, of course, also the heat of life, he warmth of life that is inside seeds, that is the thing that vivifies the world into new life.

And of course,Oria is instrumental in all this, a mirror of Lodril. She is the fireboard, the hole in which he fire stick twirls.

Keep asking.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer