Re: Lodril and Monster Man (was Lodrili Settlers and Sacred Time Ceremonies)

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_TwPSqA3mIXEt-xosDIngd5Vrtj3dB9onJtAIMG0xIHe2OmQgHAvf_YwmOPVE3z2>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:43:32 -0800 (PST)

Stew, I like that interpretation, too.  I will note that this pollution or violence becomes very handy when the peasants do revolt. Every once in a while, the aristos need to be reminded of their mortality.

Alison

Stew said:
For my own part, Allison, I like one of the earliest published Lodril myths--I think it's quite evocative and offers some interesting room for interpretation. A myth that I also think, at a visceral level, is common to many 'Lodril'-accepting cultures.

"Lodril was aloft in the sky when he saw a foul thing from beyond the world squirming upon the body of his beloved earth. He... thrust himself to impale the monster ... Lodril remained the most prominent, but he was tainted ever afterwards with a violence unlike most fire entities."

--Wyrms Footnotes, p. 57.

IMO, Pelorian mythology tends to externalise this conflict at the heart of Lodril, appreciating and resolving such extreme disorder and violence in the form of Monster Man.