Re: More Lodril questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_An4Ukv3KQIL4aubi3mDKIUCvbR_hbA-kA6AW5l-_rW9KpDSioNmMXW88Y4wY46UN8Jz>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:02:44 +1300

At 04:07 a.m. 12/02/2009, you wrote:

>How much of the rulership role does Turos have without a Yelm analog
>around? Jernotius was the leader of the High Gods, but more as a
>teacher than a ruler. Turos sat in "the Highest Seat" of the Jernotian
>Ring in the apotheosis of Daxdarius myth, but IIRC this was an elected
>position among the High Gods and I also don't know what powers/duties
>were ascribed to the Highest Seat.

Elected is the wrong word. Turos was acknowledged by the Gods as being the best and thus he has the highest seat. He is in a similar position to Zeus in the Greek Pantheon.

> Idovanus is also a High God - how
>should I view the relationship between the gods of Power (Turos) and
>Order (Idovanus)? Turos is also the God of the Council Staff, but that
>seems less like a king and more like a chairman.

I see the identities of High God and God of Assemblies as different religious practices. Worshipping the High Gods is an esoteric religious discipline practiced only by a few. Invoking Turos in his capacity of patron of the Assembly is something that is done in Pelanda every day.

As for Idovanus, he has little worship in the standard religious sense. I think more Pelandans worship him as a High God than worship him as a normal god.

--Peter Metcalfe