Re: Lodril and Monster Man (was Lodrili Settlers and Sacred Time Cer

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_d_7qn8jPKdoplmNmCZQGclcGnKJZcSDS-A9Yprf_uTU_xHvHEgysqIaanTb69Elns>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 06:22:39 -0800

YGWV On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_xHVGHCMigHFQH97mU6x2TY80WmfFI8o3dC3gqLrkDfKn7bzUAf8Wc97m2-VhHoqx2277CNAqSdQtIWuCsMAlvG8.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> At 09:41 a.m. 13/02/2009, you wrote:
> >Peter
> >
> > >Considering that Lodril agitates for the destruction of the Turos
> > >Temple in Darleep (Entekosiad p91), I have a hard time accepting
> > >this as regional variation.
> >
> >I'll have to look at that again, but this sounds like political
> >maneuvering. "Worship with our rites/hierarchy."

--snip-- excellent examples

Since the Gods do have opinions that exist outside the political ambitions
> of their priests, I don't see the need to assume that the Lodrili priests
> in
> Darleep were fibbing because they couldn't get along.

I am going to have to disagree with Peter on this. Gods do not have ambitions. They are the way that they are, ever since the Compromise.
In general, through the histories that I have written whenever something is credited to the gods' desires, it is in fact the cult that is doing it, not the gods.
If an action was set against the gods' natures, then their powers would not function for that task (and maybe for anything done by the people). but the priestly hierarchy sets goals and determines motivations, then says it is the gods.
And it is not unusual for members of the same religion to fight against each other, claiming divine motivation.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer