How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_pQgwkiUQZf-6bjH8x48SBlUKlrQIiGPl0f5x3meZ2_jxtb4-GypjIlGQC3m9_Cv3ISO>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 00:30:10 -0000

Each of those mentioned has a benchmark best magic skill of 10w4 in HeroQuest (p 274). A Clan spirit is already 10w3.

I have a problem with these figures. What actually is the city God able to do with that 10w4 magical ability? I can sort of agree on such a high figure as the resistance to being magically messed with.

Let's remember that w3 is heroic level. A capital H hero marches against a city, and he/she is totally outclassed by the guardian spirit/god of the city. This seems wrong, and I have no idea how that would manifest either.

I'd rather think that a tribal / city god would grant some more reasonable level of magic that could be invoked by the city priesthood or those in possession of the tribal regalia.

So... when Sir Ethilrist who is a 10w3 hero marcher on Furthest, what does it mean that the city has a god/wyter with the strength of 10w4?

In my thinking, enemies of Furthest will face much lover level magical problems, but those problems will not go away as long as the walls and the temple stand. Confronting the city god directly will pit you agaist that 10w4, if you have a way to directly contest the power of the god. Like my better half said, facing the city god definitely shouldn't be harder than actually militarily taking the city.

  -Adept