re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: David Dunham <david_at_qOaRtB3dv6aXwke_Gy0UQaJGGwzrziGGUa4gNaXnY2nf9zLahZc-tuqMRTn5L_KHl2CdBa>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:30:19 -0800

Adept

> > Resistance is always going to be relative to your hero, not to some
>> outside yardstick (which really doesn't work with HQ given the
>> difference styles in awarding and spending Hero Points). The
>> question is what role do you want the city guardian to play in your
>> story?
>
>Sadly this doesn't much help me. If I wanted totally subjective or
>arbitary levels, why would I use a game system for it at all?

This isn't the forum to discuss it, but if you are trying to tell stories in Glorantha, I think you should read HQ 2.0's treatment of this (yeah, yeah, once it comes out). You can tell exciting stories without needing to run a simulation. (HeroQuest is actually fairly poor at running simulations.)

Jeff

>Rather than start
>thinking of it in "rules-speech," I'd write a short paragraph
>describing what you think that battle should look like, physically and
>magically. It then becomes much easier to use various rules systems to
>model that event. The story should be drive the rules, not vice versa.

Bravo!

This approach should work no matter what rules you use. If the city guardian provides healing, then as Yelm sets and the shadow of the walls touches you, you get a Heal 6 / +20 AP / -2 RP.

If you really need to know that rune levels get the Heal 6, and initiates only get Heal 4, then you can get into rules details like that. But this is driven by story needs: the guardian heals, and it heals its loyal supporters more.

Adept

>Change "story" to "world" there and I agree.

Only to the extend that the world is a character in the story. (Which admittedly in Glorantha, it is to an extent.)

In the Star Wars world, the Death Star has any number of masteries in Blow Up Planet. It's only because Luke Skywalker manages to figure out a way to attack it where it's weak that he succeeds. But it's only because Luke is a human character that we care. And it's the relationship of the characters that gives it all resonance.

--

David Dunham