re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: David Dunham <david_at_yXNPCuo2DPvqQ1tzzFiiaBaov6fHG9kWU1UdJOwaLmzrgqOWZXE3O9Go6GgZs0Nt5d44D2>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:04:27 -0800

Adept

>Each of those mentioned has a benchmark best magic skill of 10w4 in
>HeroQuest (p 274). A Clan spirit is already 10w3.
>
>I have a problem with these figures.

As do the HQ 2.0 designers, which is why this sort of fixed statistic is no longer used.

How hard is it to challenge a city god? Well, it depends on the context. If you're trying to challenge Pavis for ownership of the city, which you want to rename Valkoharja, then I'd say that's pretty darned near impossible (given the history of Pavis).

Let's say you're more sane, and are just trying to sneak in. I'd assume that as a protective spirit, Pavis provides some sort of awareness, and you'd be resisted by that. The actual target number depends on the story context (see the upcoming HQ 2.0 for specifics).

The other part of your question relates to how to rank clan, tribe, kingdom guardians. I think we all agree that if we were to rank their absolute power level, they'd be in that order.

But that's only of academic interest. What counts is how effective they are in story terms. And there, they're all basically the same.

A clan guardian has to defend a single tula, a relatively geographically compact area. A tribal guardian has to defend multiple tulas, which may even in some cases be disjoint. Yes it's theoretically more powerful, but its awareness is more dispersed, so trying to sneak into the tribe lands is just as easy as sneaking into a tula.

Jeff

>Let's imagine my players have King Hofstaring Treeleaper (a capital H
>hero) and marches against Boldhome - which is defended by Sartar and
>his various helpers. I'd say it is Nearly Impossible for Hofstaring to
>defeat Sartar on his own.
>
>But wait, maybe Hofstaring gathers all the tribes in Sartar to offer
>sacrifices to him and not Sartar (a big plot augment) which drops that
>magic resistance down to Very High or High. And maybe Hofstaring's
>Trickster gives Hofstaring an Assist by showing Hofstaring a path
>through Sartar's magical defenses, dropping that Resistance more.
>Pretty soon this becomes doable.

Rather than get into rules (which Jeff mangled a bit), a better phrasing might be that for Hofstaring to attack on his own is Nearly Impossible, but with an army behind him the resistance becomes more reasonable -- this is just common sense, and doesn't even need game mechanics. You can still use game mechanics for specific augments etc.

John

>Your Glorantha Will Mechanically Vary now as well, I suppose. :)

This is nothing new -- I've run Gloranthan games using various editions of RuneQuest, with the PenDragon Pass variant, and with various versions of Hero Wars/HeroQuest. It's still Glorantha, and it's still the stories that count.

--

David Dunham