Re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_77113H4tuRov1kh0aezy5V-IxewVQwYVYn1kBYf9TtaUPF2LsaI_61TmFrDhOGC6i>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:08:23 -0800

YGWV
I've been out of town, will take a crack at this.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM, valkoharja <rintasaa_at_TpPu2BKJL_KnL3_T1ILt0FvbbpmydZn0bBrA9wAd4v9fDrqzaRONGl5lXJZ44irgtXe2DoiLByxEJb6-5w.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Each of those mentioned has a benchmark best magic skill of 10w4 in
> HeroQuest (p 274). A Clan spirit is already 10w3.
>
> I have a problem with these figures. What actually is the city God
> able to do with that 10w4 magical ability? I can sort of agree on such
> a high figure as the resistance to being magically messed with.

As suggested below, use the Guardian model. This is not a wrestle-with-Ethilrist power. City entities don't manifest that way (usually).

> Let's remember that w3 is heroic level. A capital H hero marches
> against a city, and he/she is totally outclassed by the guardian
> spirit/god of the city. This seems wrong, and I have no idea how that
> would manifest either.

Why does it seem wrong?
Why do you think that Ethilrist, alone, could conquer a city's guardian?

I'd rather think that a tribal / city god would grant some more
> reasonable level of magic that could be invoked by the city priesthood
> or those in possession of the tribal regalia.

If someone is going to attack a city, they'd have a whole bu ch of wyters and guardians to help them, and collectively they could dwarf this defender.

> So... when Sir Ethilrist who is a 10w3 hero marcher on Furthest, what
> does it mean that the city has a god/wyter with the strength of 10w4?

Furthest likely has several guardians, just to note. It means that if someone launched a magical attack against the city, it would resist with 10w4.
If Ethilrist launched 5000 screaming Orlanthi at the walls with suitable support of seige engines, ladders etc, then the city could augment the defenders with its magic.
Or heal them. Or whatever its appropriate powers would be.

In my thinking, enemies of Furthest will face much lover level magical
> problems, but those problems will not go away as long as the walls and
> the temple stand. Confronting the city god directly will pit you
> agaist that 10w4, if you have a way to directly contest the power of
> the god. Like my better half said, facing the city god definitely
> shouldn't be harder than actually militarily taking the city.

Well, sometimes it should, and sometimes it shouldn't. It depends on what is being used to attack the city, and what the city has to defend itself.

Helpful?

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer