Re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_SxL4esNN6foCB9l8H_b-C6ny6va1KR7phzf3HvfssD2gaRzNP5zG0obeVgC3P3v-QAbU>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:16:17 -0000

> I'm not telling a morality tale or a symbolic story about the siege of
> a city (to stay with the same example). I'm trying to represent things
> as they work in Glorantha.

How do you distinguish the two? The siege of a city is always a morality story, a symbol of things eternal, divine and spiritual, and a host of other metaphors. These metaphors have practical meaning in Glorantha and are difficult (and perhaps impossible) to explain in purely mechanistic terms.

> Problem is that I don't have a good grip at what abilities City Gods
> and Tribal Wyters are supposed to have. Are the physical armies the
> key, or is the magical battle against a titanic 10w4 resistance what
> determines the fate of the city. Seeing how 10w4 was implied by Greg
> earlier to be the level of magic wielded by the Red Emperor, I don't
> think it can actually be quite that hard to take Furthest. It's not
> like it had the Emperor personally defending it with the magic of the
> Moonson. That's why I'm thinking augments.

It depends on how you imagine and describe these contests. To me saying "augments" doesn't really mean a lot. Rather than start thinking of it in "rules-speech," I'd write a short paragraph describing what you think that battle should look like, physically and magically. It then becomes much easier to use various rules systems to model that event. The story should be drive the rules, not vice versa.

Jeff