Re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_GAeAimbE-NaZVFxHTSqq4k6l2QqPWwk_4giBz0FB9QDegSEvgTlCJ_23hRP1HNc0J0>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:07:58 +1100

Is this verging into HQ-rules territory rather Glorantha-territory; as Trotsky mentioned earlier?

2009/2/17 valkoharja <rintasaa_at_QFzSw6y4fHPNJZhZhEefxJdWQda1jJFcmfzRt6ffpXj8rqtDylGHv03nNexTW8OFuY89XVWkG2cSNCg70A.yahoo.invalid>:
> Sadly this doesn't much help me. If I wanted totally subjective or
> arbitary levels, why would I use a game system for it at all?

So that you have a mechanism other than social agreement to resolve actions and conflicts, which in turn leads to unexpected results, which in turn leads to a different sort of narrative?

> I'm not telling a morality tale or a symbolic story about the siege of
> a city (to stay with the same example). I'm trying to represent things
> as they work in Glorantha.

Use the scales in HQ1 then?
If they don't make sense, change them and talk about it on the internet so other people who want to play with a simulationist agenda can follow your lead.

> Problem is that I don't have a good grip at what abilities City Gods
> and Tribal Wyters are supposed to have. Are the physical armies the
> key, or is the magical battle against a titanic 10w4 resistance what
> determines the fate of the city. Seeing how 10w4 was implied by Greg
> earlier to be the level of magic wielded by the Red Emperor, I don't
> think it can actually be quite that hard to take Furthest. It's not
> like it had the Emperor personally defending it with the magic of the
> Moonson. That's why I'm thinking augments.

It's probably appropriate augments everyday (so, as mentioned, trading cities have markets that oppose cheaters) and direct application when the leader takes control of the magic for important purposes. This probably exhausts the guardian in some way - in much the same way that taking magic from a guardian normally does, but more so.

A city's Draconic Defenders magic might - in times of great peril - conjure up fearsome creatures to smite attackers but the guardian might need additional ceremonies of regard in order to regain even its former powers after such an exertion. Given that a lot of the occupants are going to be offering their thanks after such a salvation anyway this is probably not really a problem after a few weeks of additional worship.

--
John Machin