RE: Re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_V0V_e6epkd7hpbIV3FoBkuPZ-ZxXW_XrUceYpG1tgcrJ0ZsDjOMRk-WV9e7ejHn>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:23:27 -0000

Jeff Richard wrote: "The story should be driving the rules, not vice versa." Valkoharja wrote: Change "story" to "world" there and I agree.

To me this translates: "change narrativism to simulationism"

Val:
Problem is that I didn't remember reading any descriptions where I could get a grip on how central and powerful a city god or tribal wyter is in a conflict.

That's because the emphasis these days (in HQ) is on narrativism. At Tentacles Robin has been noted for saying that HQ is for story telling games and also words to the effect of: if you want gritty then you have new RQ. HQ encourages you to put the wyter/guardian in your game as a story device and refuses to quantify its power for that reason. It's the same for all story entities (except for that troubling Griffin on page 110 :)

You will get an idea of what resistance to use when the guardian comes into a contest - because, hopefully, you will have some kind of write-up for your city. Did you see my post in this thread about this kind of thing?

Unless somebody does something really crazy (as sometimes happens on Glorantha) and becomes a physical avatar to the god of the city / tribal spirit, the god will be helping and warning the defenders, not fighting.

Like heroforming the guardian?