RE: Re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_wIBuMQse4vFl540Mz5dXzleFLhemrzSYNnUDqP5FjqlbBu7Lj_w7-CfnlJUf3dP>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:08:27 -0000

Darren, nobody said that they don't change at all (forgive me if I read you wrong) - they just said that the great city spirit (or whatever otherworld it stems from) does not evolve of its own accord (as you seem to state). Perhaps one reason for this is that the realms of myth do not change of their own accord either?

It seems clear to me that it's agreed upon here that changes can happen through the efforts of the 'worshippers'.

This is not to tell you how to run your own Glorantha - for instance in my campaign stories the guardian of Ironspike (Far Place) is in fact the iron spike and receives propitiary worship from the three clans that reside in that Youf-age fort.

(for info: "The Spike itself is a huge and pointed forty meter shard of iron, a fragment of Korang the Slayer's poison spear, shattered in the great Godtime battle with Skyriver Titan and Hard Earth. No one approaches the Spike or tries to mine its iron, for it is still poison to gods and men. Nothing grows nearby; even the winds that play about its pitted face quickly sicken and die. Sometimes the spirit of the Spike screams in anguish, to the terror of every living thing in the Hold.")

Can't see this Guardian changing but if you want yours to grow and change to reflect the city I'd suggest it's the city's movers and shakers that are bringing about those changes in times of need?