Singing 10%, Snooker 85% (was: stuff)

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_S-HYU1ol7H5RQRjsxBybechXdosVfmwNrYVdHyUgyBWSQpJopZYfH-9xz0jw3>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:41:41 -0000

I'm not unappreciative of the thoughts and ideas that are driving HQ2 through to its conclusion. However.

For myself, HQ is remarkably simple: (i) have a fun-sounding ability;
(ii) give it an appropriate number; (iii) roll a die. Historically,
(iii) has always been my preserve. But we are increasingly seeing a
rollback through (ii) and, seemingly, (i).

When we get to that point, I do have to ask the question: why am I buying this book? As adventure-focused, as opposed to more general and rambling, background? Sure. But these are others' adventure ideas, not mine. They will have a certain amount of structure, focus and intent in the eye of the author. (If they didn't, I'd pass on the purchase for other reasons.) Others', not mine.

So, let's beware of the inherent disingenuities of the "It's your story" lines of argument. A sizeable portion of the egotistical thrill that we authors feel on contributing to Glorantha is others getting off [okay, for some areas, a bad choice of words] on our ideas. Let's admit that and have a little more parochial arrogance. I actually find it quite appealing.

It is not absolute. People buy game supplements for different reasons. When I buy Jamie's Western supplements it will be because I want to know what he thinks of things. When I buy Jeff et al's Sartar book, it will because I want to know they think. I don't know what I think. I'm dim; I want them to tell me. And, let's be honest, I think the authors want to tell me, too.

It's gradational. And it's really not too far a journey to include 'stats'.

I like 'stat blocks' and game-tuned nomenclature. I have an almost mystical reverence for them. Fairly seriously.

There is something about their brevity, form and function; the way in which they distil/pervert information into some curt argot. The way in which one deceptively leads into another; the witty incongruities that can result. You could write an essay on musical perversions in Sartar. Would it come close to the inspiration I received from seeing 'Musical Spoons 80%' in Quackjohn's stat block? Not in my Glorantha.

BRP-aligned games could do this fairly well; Hero Wars/HeroQuest positively excelled at it. Several years ago, we all extolled the virtues of evocative HQ abilities. We compiled a big list and happily accepted it as a major selling point. I do not believe that they have become any less inspirational. For myself, I would like to see these HQ keywords and abilities--these brief, focused, funny concentrations of authors' ideas--front and centre in future supplements.

Grammar, syntax, prose and narrative are distinctly overrated. 'Musical Spoons 80%' is where it's at!

Stew.