Re: Singing 10%, Snooker 85% (was: stuff)

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_3jeZPXPKv82T4EsMuFXn0_KVTkKNKGo68kSO5V9o5xCA5QhKHkT4a1PenvCxgYCCrP>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:10:14 +1100

2009/2/21 Bruce Mason <mason.bruce_at_8k0NrM-r41hxzwt_jj26so12IVvjha6zdMDX0s3woKKh_K6rZwMwb_2gC8j6OJ7pKiqTt-txxv18Bo4tvg.yahoo.invalid>:
> You could possibly compare the two approaches to Macs and Windows (just
> considering this out loud.) A Mac, like a relative description, tells you
> what you need to know and no more. It tell you the the cavern is "really
> wide" which means that if you want to jump across it you need to be able to
> jump across really wide caverns. In the end, who cares exactly how wide,
> let's just got in with the jumping and see if we fall to our death. Windows
> tells you the cavern's width in millimeters and lets you compare that to a
> bunch of other rubrics and suggests you run the jumping skill program with
> the appropriate parameters. After much calculation you jump and, sometimes,
> the system crashes half-way through anyway so the GM makes up the result.

Oooh, I don't think I like the analogy, I am sorry. Thinking that roleplayers already have a robust symbolic set for communications and wanting to play OD&D are not the same thing.

The particular jargon of our pastime is a preselected vocabulary that we all tend to understand. It makes some sense that it is used to convey information to us. The primary audience is still roleplayers, presumably; if it were anthropologists, or architects, or sea-captains, we would use different vocabularies.

--
John Machin