Re: Singing 10%, Snooker 85% (was: stuff)

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_qTyKtJl_pVE6WAsx3RMz2X1uldVJKx_NfRwdiDCNpsoa_S2YtDRpMpes0>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:41:00 -0000

> 2009/2/20 Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
> > Obviously folk are going to just have to wait until the new
HeroQuest rules are finally released,

It might help to see my current blurb on reading the narrator characters in The Coming Storm, which is firmly in the HQ2 mold:

Narrator Character Format
Bloodline: The bloodline of the character and the birth clan of women married into the clan
Faction: The political faction that character is sympathetic too Age: How old the character is.
Magic: The character's cult and the rune that they initiated or devoted with. You should use this for color when narrating use of magic. Significant & Legendary Abilities: You do not need to know numeric abilities for narrator characters. Just narrate what they do, consistent with their description, and come up with a suitable resistance for your story (using the pass/fail cycle as appropriate). To help I have noted significant abilities that are key to the character. You may want to narrate the use of these abilities when you need a High or Very High resistance class. Some people are famed for their abilities. I note these as legendary abilities. You can use these when the resistance is very challenging, a Very High or even a Nearly Impossible resistance. By the same token, if the contest is framed to specifically challenge a legendary ability, you're entirely justified in setting a higher resistance than you otherwise might. Quirks: These are those little facets of appearance distinguish a character: a gruff voice, a nervous twitch, a vicious scar. They are a shorthand description – just enough to be memorable.