RE: Re: Good bye / The Zin Letters #3

From: chris jensen romer <chrisjensenromer_at_SNIE3R4WsCS5D0xL7KzV3gifLEign7fdVB4ESWdP12N3DCCklZvCsMIPXv4>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:02:41 +0000

> > I also wonder why there is so less MRQ material written by devoted
> >
> Gloranthaphiles? The MRQ books by Lawrence Whitaker, Robin Laws, and Shannon
>
> Applecline are great, but I think there would be still need for even more
>
> Gloranthaphiles, who could represents the characteristics of Glorantha
>
> better than some inexperienced Glorantha writers.

Down to Mongoose, who approach which writers they want, and the terms and conditions of employment I guess. Mongoose pay OK by industry standards from what I have been told - I write mainly for Atlas Games who pay very well indeed and are great people to write for, and Chaosium actually pay pretty ok rates and Dustin is fun to deal with - if you can get paid, which I always do, eventually - but there are other factors like how much support writers get, flexibility and realism of deadlines, etc, etc. Some companies will cheerfully take your work and not pay you at all, which si fine as long a sthey give you product and you agreed with this. I think in my rpg writing the two major issues have become a) what is the chance i will actually get paid what the contract says and b) a) what is the chance i will actually get paid what the contract says - bearing in mind you are writing for a book that may not with the best publisher in the world appear for two years, at maybe two to three cents a word, and generally paid in dollars which admittedly are now marginally more valuable than the monopoly money they were for a long time. I think I'd write for Mongoose cheerfully for sterling payment as I'm in the uK, but no one is ever going to support themselves on rpg writing, unless they are insanely productive and so famous their name on a book adds market share so they can negotiate far better than usual terms? Hence the very small number of really famous rpg writers?

Anyway Mongoose select their writers, for quality and line style one assumes, and they are extremely professional so I guess it works. The MRQ products have to my mind been excellent so far in the main?

cj x

CJ's uneventful life is now blogged: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/

View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more! http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/137984870/direct/01/