Ancien Régime Goats

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_gOwmv_9Hzzm2hC9gIVop0_dzezmKvl-6HHvciyg2h5zpY-uccn4r205ikPF58>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:52:18 -0000

Chris:
> The Ostrich Folk and Bird Lizard Riders aren't Dedra. They are
> remnants of the Garden.

I'd like to unite the two threads under a misleading title.

It struck me a little while back that many of the famous birdy inhabitants of Prax/Pavis/Borderlands, what-have-you, are... bald. Vultures, condors, ostriches. All baldy baldy. Even if not completely bald, they have at best a thin covering of down, or a neck frill.

I don't know why this is. But I have heard stories to the effect that some of the ducks who migrated to the River Cradles--to take up a life in banditry, brigandage, vagrancy, smuggling and other estimable professions--started to moult.

Now ducks place great pride in their plumage and were rather taken aback by this. So much so that some started wearing feathery wigs. A few periwigs were proudly puffed and preened, and quite exquisite.

So I'm intrigued as to the reasons behind this: why are many Praxian birds bald?

Stew.