Re:Grotaron sources

From: Keith Nellist <keithnellist_at_UQAvo0UYmIG12KqDVqCp2ELOXQYGYbigiYDg8qm-8oLYHmRIuUuoxHytHNCJxg9>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 07:40:03 +1000

Sadly, on one hand, I am not aware of any other useful information on Grotarons. On the other hand, the MRQ Monsters has them, with a colour picture on P74 and inlcudes the interesting fact that female grotarons have no mammaries, although the picture of the presumed male Grotaron has nipples. Go figure! On the third hand they have a paragraph in Fronela, but again there is nothing that is not really covered in Elder Secrets or Anaxials. I guess a Grotaron completist would need to possess Gloranthan Beastiary too. I think there is a picture of one in one of the Enclosures.

The narrator would have to decide whether Grotarons are "not a gregarious race" (Glorantha Beastiary) or "a peaceful race of giants who value life and esteem all intelligent creatures as equals" (MRQ Monsters). Also whether they "are often hired as mercenaries" (Glorantha Beastiary) or "strongly dislike killing and will do so only when their foe leaves them no choice" (MRQ Monsters). The weapon of choice seems to have changed from two handed sword (MRQ) to maul (GB).

Grotaron ilustration is rather weak in my opinion. The Glorantha Beastiary has one doing some sort of Irish dance, while MRQ Monsters has a dodgy looking mouth not sickle shaped in the slightest. They both wear big boots, not mentioned in either texts. Both suffer from being clearly human bodies with a large chest-mouth drawn on and the head replaced with an arm. I'd like to see what a Frazetta would have done with this monster, but I see them as more shaggy, less human.

Keith