Re:Grotaron sources

From: David Cake <dave_at_mzZ11hH6lcan4MUBMpZFsDxOSjoWe2h6J6VvVbL56UiTunL4k5pBXaJ0yHTYgeDDbnOZpoO>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 01:18:18 +0800

At 7:40 AM +1000 2/5/09, Keith Nellist wrote:
>Sadly, on one hand, I am not aware of any other useful information
>on Grotarons. On the other hand, the MRQ Monsters has them, with a
>colour picture on P74 and inlcudes the interesting fact that female
>grotarons have no mammaries, although the picture of the presumed
>male Grotaron has nipples. Go figure! On the third hand they have a
>paragraph in Fronela, but again there is nothing that is not really
>covered in Elder Secrets or Anaxials. I guess a Grotaron completist
>would need to possess Gloranthan Beastiary too. I think there is a
>picture of one in one of the Enclosures.
>
>The narrator would have to decide whether Grotarons are "not a
>gregarious race" (Glorantha Beastiary) or "a peaceful race of giants
>who value life and esteem all intelligent creatures as equals" (MRQ
>Monsters). Also whether they "are often hired as mercenaries"
>(Glorantha Beastiary) or "strongly dislike killing and will do so
>only when their foe leaves them no choice" (MRQ Monsters). The
>weapon of choice seems to have changed from two handed sword (MRQ)
>to maul (GB).

        It is a classic mistake of arrogant colonial investigators like Ocron Overseer to meet one small group of people from a culture, and write confidently that all them are the same. Perhaps Grotarons actually just have a fair bit of cultural diversity? Different spirit cults have different teachings.

        And I have to repeat my pet theory about the Grotarons, as I said back in 2002
>I always figured that the sabre-toothed mammoths that only they can
>see were obviously snuffleupaguses.

        They make curious RQ PCs - very very physically powerful, with their huge strength and incredible bowmanship. But ridiculous comic relief at the same time. A friend once attempted to play one by wearing a glove on his head.

	Cheers
		David