Re: What are the "gain feat" quests like

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_Y49fPy_oc4DJJJbBB6sGAlHCOUAFatSKE52vKbkAlmpRVXWi6lZ7yvbOaI8HUCeKt>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:56:52 -0700

YGWV On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM, valkoharja <rintasaa_at_MR0lH1z4POPep4tycRxkSzCtQykhEM5OUN3aK-KI3T8SrngRn_N2Oyjw2KYbunFZR5PMU-jVvIyJKnqLr43G.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford
> <snip, great stuff about feats>
>
> [Adept - seeking enlightenment]
> >> Can a Storm Tribe warrior in the godworld infact throw lightning, or
> >> is that a power of the few Gods that can do it?
> >
> > Does the above make it clear?
>
> To me it sounded like they shouldn't be able to throw lightning, but I'll
> have to digest the story a bit and hope further understanding blossoms.

It would depend on "how strong his Orlanth" is. If he's progressed then he may have some form of Lightning magic--probably not strong, not huge and powerful, but something. And that's what he has on the HeroQuest.

I'm still not clear, for instance, about what personal magic heroquesters
> can weild.

If "personal" means magic that is in/on/integrated to the individual's Self, then a heroquester can wield any personal magic.

> A heroquester who is Orlanth in the quest, should probably have the command
> over wind and lightning even though he may not have such in the mortal
> world.

No.
You do NOT go on a quest and adopt the characteristics of the entity you are duplicating. You have your own powers.

> What happens if he does an[ d ] Arkat, and goes exploring?

He is in a lot of danger.
A lot of the HeroQuests are rather much like locks and keys, where the quester is the key.
If you put any other key into the Orlanth lock, it wont work.

> Can he explore in his identity as Orlanth, or does he explore as Harald the
> Heroquester with only his personal magical talents?

Harald he is.

> I'm not sure what I expect the Storm Age Vingkotlings met on a quest to be
> able to do. I suppose they'd be seriously tough humans, but that they
> wouldn't actually weild personal magics, or at least not much.

Humans and demigods, and actually many of them have personal magic. As a collective (i.e. the community and gods), the Thunder Brothers have magic available to them, and today we find these to be the same magic that the clan warband has. And, just as the deputy captain might not have as much power or magic as the captain, so do the leaders among the people have more power than the Thunder Brother who is leading them.

In fact, it is possible that some of those practically identityless beings has a related power that is not even known. He just never got worshippers of his own. Your hero can elevate that being to god hood by getting about a thousand regular, for-real committed worshippers. This would probably make your hero into a worshipped Hero too, of that god...

Oh yea, Jeff up there is right too.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer