RE: Runes and society

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_0hnRcw9JGBXHpn3DcuunbTt3QmiHRwvMhklmth3ekbjtL7vd52ES7AHRTcrjAvn>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 07:14:25 +0100

Hey John

I have to admit that I've been wondering about this too.

>From what I can tell, the runes are not mere game concepts. Apart from the commonly held belief that runes are now in-world things, Rune Affinities are awakened on initiation and people are said to approach a deity through runes.

I think Gloranthan theists know Rune Magic as having come from the gods. That said, they are not mentioned in any mythologhy, so we are left, I think, to wonder how even the Satarites understand runes.

My feeling is that Gloranthans understand runes in the same way that earthly superstitions are used to understand the world. Almost nobody knows any lore on runes but everyone knows the world is made of them.

I'm sure Gloranthans use the term 'affinity' in relation to runes. People will have common experiences from connection with runes and need a common parlance to communicate that.

Cheers

Matthew
(sent from my mobile)