Re: metaphysics, truth and game rules

From: David Dunham <david_at_oqzid5Jos9GSftXt5goYD9A5QZDmuJE6oewjUE-Z4X-foNWnzzvChxJVAS2iK-ma5UyPdm>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:30:08 -0700

Alexander

>For example I canīt go on a heroquest and redefine the
>personality traits related to death. I canīt make death mean compassion and
>understanding for example?

Nope.

Some cultures might have more of a focus about death as a compassionate end to a life well lied before a dying person is in daily pain, or that it is always worth extending life no matter what the quality. But that's the culture, not the rune.

>I also assume a God like Baron Samedi wouldnīt be able to
>exist in Glorantha because his personality traits would be overwritten by the
>innate traits and values of the death rune. Is that right?

I'm not aware of any Gloranthan religions that are like voodoo, but then I'm pretty ignorant of voodoo. From what I know, I don't know that Samedi would have the Death rune.

Though Trotsky's suggestions on how to have a GOD (not a rune) which is compassionate death make sense. And even if there is no such deity, YOU can have the Death rune and any other runes (with the exception of Fertility, which is normally incompatible).

In a way, runes are like atoms, gods more like molecules (or other mixes, like the atmosphere). Most of the variation comes from the combinations.

--

David Dunham