Re: metaphysics, truth and game rules

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_Syrg73hSb7uYCzErhWWCcXO2764_cid7whSOzhqzugpKLdQwjBbyMfyyVAWoHVFPC>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 07:05:28 -0700

YGWV On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Alexander Entelechy < alexanderentelechy_at_wxKYnliBg4jRMMd_Lhh6X8e_E2yNrqebo9yprU6zC-6UZnEU9EeAhyUWtbHFoDKZlDl6QJZWdptTJGKm4ieunVkfg85W.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> On the rules list I asked: ((Are the personality traits
> attached to a rune hard coded into the universe or are they culturally
> specific?

For me, the *personality traits** *associated with runes are culturally specific. The core power of the rune is unchanged.

For example: Orlanthi culture has a certain attitude towards death and so
> bearers of the death rune in Orlanthi culture tend to act a certain way.
> Might another culture have a different attitude to death and those bearers
> of the death rune therefore have totally different personality traits
> attached.))

Short answer: yes.

> David replied: ((here's a quick answer: Yes.
>
> The runes are essential building blocks, so the personality traits are
> universal.

I would say:
The runes are essential building blocks, so the personality traits tend to be near-universal, since people react in the same manner to certain things, no matter where they are from. For instance, certain places fill anyone with awe, no matter whether they are fanatical spiritists or mundane scientists. Go to the Grand Canyon, for instance.

So how this relates to the rules is this. I say I want to do
> something and the GM can say ‘No. That’s not how the world works.’

This, of course, has nothing to do with the way that Glorantha works. This has to do with the way the game is played, and rather much violates the spirit of MGF and "Yes, but..."

> For example I can’t go on a heroquest and redefine the
> personality traits related to death. I can’t make death mean compassion and
> understanding for example?

You can, but only for your local culture. You can not change the nature of Death--the termination of the connection that links the soul to material and spiritual worlds.

I also assume a God like Baron Samedi wouldn’t be able to
> exist in Glorantha because his personality traits would be overwritten by
> the
> innate traits and values of the death rune. Is that right?

No. I have no problem whatsoever to see the good Baron as a Gloranthan death god. Below I mention a perhaps even stranger incarnation of Death.

 So is there any kind of metaphysical rules text anywhere
> that explicitly states what is prohibited, what I can’t believe because in
> the
> context of the world it isn’t and can never be true?

No. Numerous guidelines are given, but none of them can be absolute when it comes to giving meaning to a core reality (rune).

many contributors still confuse a Gloranthan-oriented document with an Ourworld-oriented one. I keep seeing articles that are Ourworld, stating what is true in Glorantha. Hey, this is mythology, and nothing is ever 100% true.

It would be better if opinions were presented as a specific Gloranthan perspective. Rather than seeing mroe articles on "what Lunars Believe" I'd far, far prefer to see "What the Rufelza worshippers of Dara Happa Preach" or "believe" or "practice" or "say they do."

To know what is near-almost-absolutely prohibited, though, you need to know what Mythology is about.

Try this: Mythology is a mask to deceive, enlighten and protect the observer.
A rune, the raw cosmic universal and all-pervasive power, is imposible for a mortal human being to Know in its immensity. To Know it is to become it, whereupon your humanity (or a part of it) is extinguished, overwhelmed, or transformed..
Instead, people have inherited ways to know it, through religion, philosophy, art, play and social interactins (formal, informal and unconscious).
Those inherited ways are incarnate in the Mythology of a people. They provide "what everyone does" to deal with these immense Powers. It's not just a story of gods or heroes, but that is part of a web of social, personal, practical, emotional, psychic and mystic reactions to the presence of that Rune. When it comes close then a mutual formation occurs--the raw power of that Rune and the Mythology of the observer who will be deceived, enlightened and protected, according to the mores, hopes and abilities of the collective community that pracices that Mythology.

But if you wanted to set up a cult in artar where Death is joyously greeted with dances, feasts and general gaity not associated with it at this time, then you would have to establish the entire web of social, personal, practical, emotional, psychic and mystic reactions. You would have to PROVE it works to the participants by establishing the actual link, which is usually recognized in the game as the exchange of worship for magic.

How about that cult in Zoria that treats Death as a Lover, to be pursued and courted throughout one's life as the Great Lover. All other couplings and loves that one may experience, with their joys of quick release or life-long pleasurable mutual pair bonding, are but practice for the Extinction Orgasm. Not quite Humakt, eh? But the same Rune.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer