That duel between Alex and Joerg

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_SaGidTfQoVcrmAWy-TgwRaZJ4fOQux2T0Om8yGOBo3PqQsecqAc2vg9OWoPZYW4cS3NId_EJ>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 22:24:11 +0200 (CEST)

> "Sean Foster":
> Anyway, I can remember Joerg and someone dueling at a convention
> (was it with inflatable penguins or swords) over if a culture
> worshipped a single diety or group (aspects) of that deity. Can
> someone remember what I cannot ... for some reason I thought it
> was a precursor to the aspects in Storm
> Tribe. Or just finish off the song...

It was one of several (too?) prolonged debates I had in the early years of the RuneQuest Daily, in this case sometime in the first half of 1994. (Where has the data on Lokarnos.com gone... there were links to the digests there...)

If I'm not totally mistaken, my war-cry was "Pantheon initiation". I'll try to see whether Hans van Halteren's video documenting that fight still has some recognizable data.

Henk:
> I remember the duel well - I refereed it!
> This must have been '93 or '94 and it was Joerg and Alex
> with sturdy padded weapons provided by Ingo Schinke.
> This was in the UK, I guess Convulsion?

Convulsion 1994, right after the first European Trollball game ever.

> What it was about? I don't know, but the two guys did get
> a good clobbering...

I recall having had fun and quite convincing arguments... and I'd do this again.

Jamie McLaren:
> Not sure exactly what you are remembering of course, but Joerg and Alex
> had a very long and in many ways formative argument over theists (not
> called that back then) worshipping a single deity or a pantheon on the
> old lists. Is this what you are perhaps remembering or maybe a follow on
> argument?

There were lots of follow-on arguments. I recall asking what cult an Orlanthi farmer would worship, and back then the answer was "Thunderous, for the rain".

Of course, I was busy introducing the Aeolian Church of Heortland at the time, and the various discussions sort of invaded one another.

> I was only telling Jeorg this weekend that I always have that old
> discussion in mind whenever I read new versions of the magic system, so I
> can decide who is currently winning, despite the fact that the body of
> argument has not been added to for over ten years.

Neither position won, but the points that were made crept into the lore.

Not having seen either HQ2 or the Sartar manuscript yet, I don't see any need to completely dump all that has been said before. It is always good to dump strict dogma in my book, and so my Glorantha will vary on the side of backward compatibility to Thunder Rebels where it was helpful to shape character concepts. Whether to call these minor forms (and strange names) subcults, hero cults, or local forms/additions I don't really care. There have always been Sword Sages of Lhankor Mhy, whether they were called initiates of Hevduran or not. (That's where one of my characters is concerned - I won't start to guess where other peoples' long-standing characters will be concerned.)

I have yet to meet two separate gaming groups using a rules system exactly the same way, so I'll be quite laid back about disappearance of rules-based categories while intent to keep all the useful chrome and forgetful about all those frills which never made it into my writings or games.

If I should come into the situation that my writings are to be used for official publications, some will have to clear any differences to the then current party line. That's what editors are for.

To me, Tentacles was once again the platform to meet many those interesting people who make up the various clans of the tribe, and to talk shop, catch up on family developments, play a few games, drink more than a card's worth of beer and get too little sleep. As a first, I not only came late, but also left early, so I only had about 48 hours of the most intense con experience.

See many of you all on some convention next year...